Friday, January 14, 2011

Asian Cup 2011: Australia vs. Korea Republic

Caught the Australian feed of this game on Dish pay-per-view. $15, still not sure if it was worth it.

First of all, I'll have to admit, Australian commentators were pretty entertaining. They were very knowledgeable and unbiased. It was refreshing to hear compared to some of the obnoxious English commentary and the overall poor commentary done by the United States that I am accustomed to.

Korea's strength was their short game. I love it, my style of football. Short pass, high success rate, lots of off the ball movement. Very Espanol inspired. I will have to say SungYeung is developing well, but he plays the easy pass way too often. He needs to learn Xavi's death-pass. The decisive playmaking skills will come in time.

YoungPyo and DuRi both need to learn how to cross. Like Sagna, they brilliantly dribble the whole length of the field beating 2-3 defenders at a time in the corner, then ruin it all with a terrible cross. It seems most sidebacks lack crossing quality nowadays. Korea needs a Phillip Lahm.

Brett Holman is pretty awesome. I'm really liking this guy. He caught my attention during the WC 2010 and still continues to impress. Australia's only spark.

Carney, you're a beast. Dislocated your arm at the shoulder and popped it back in on the field, then stood up and walked off on your own feet.

My rankings (based on everything, anything, and nothing):
Korea's Performance: B-
Australia's Performance: B-
Viewing Experience: C+

Just like my highschool coach used to say, "a draw is like making out with your sister, you made out, but it was with your sister."

No comments:

Post a Comment